You may all know that Draft of Interim Constitution has been handed over to Seven Political parties and the Maoists party. In that they have ignored the claim of Himalayan Autonomous Region in the himalayan region where many himalayan indigenous groups live. Where as, they have made provision to establish 9 autonomous region in the basis of ethnicity and region. Kirant Autonomy for Rai and Limbu, Tamang Autonomy for Tamang, Newa for Newar, Tamuwan for Gurung, Magaran for Magar, Tharuwan for Tharu,Madhes autonomy for Madhesis and etc. but no Himalayan autonomy for himalayan people. This has created a situation that in the future.. we sherpas have to live under certain kind of hegemony under Kirants and Tamangg. Likewise, other himalayan communities under other ethnic groups. Sherpas condition will be like " Tapke baata umkeko Fish Bhungro ma".
Considering this difficult situation, Sherpa Association of Nepal decided to launch struggle together with other himalayan community. Sherpa Association of Nepal formed 131 member struggle committee comprised of all executive members of Sherpa Association of Nepal, Sherpa Sewa Kendra, Sherpa Student Forum, Himalayan Culture Centre, Sherpa Women's Association, EX. British Sherpa Army's Association, Himali Sherpa Samaj. The first meeting of Struggle committee is being held tomorrow and will decide various programs of peaceful demonstration.
In this critical juncture, Sherpa Association of Nepal, Central Committee expects support of US Sherpa Kyidug, UK Sherpa Kyidug and all other sherpa kyidugs and all sherpas around the world. Your support is very much necessary in every respect.
Let all sherpas be united.
Ngima Tendup Sherpa
Sherpa Association of Nepal
Himalaya is famous world over, it draws tens of thousands of tourist, tourist=money, huge sum of money, they don't call it a tourist industry for name sake, industry=economy.
The issue of Himalayan autonomy, whatever party envolved in the decision to create or not create autonomous region for different ethcicity, I assume also controls the goverment, therefore why would they give away control over a viable source of income. Also I noticed Manang wasn't mentioned another tourist destination.
Autonomous region for what purpose, I figured if one is to unite and bring PEACE to nepal we must first see ourselves as NEPALI. Ethnicity and the division it creates among our brothers and sisters serves in the intrest of the corrupt legion of politicians driven by ideological and propagandist agenda, whose will is to suppresses the intrest of people for benifits of few handfull of elites, these elites are no less a Oligarchy. The more we stay divided, the more easier for them to govern (control) us.
After having read the response, I feel the message we wanted to convey is not very clear. So again, I would like to try to make Sherpa Association of Nepal's point clear.
First of all, Interim Constitution Drafting Committee formed by the government and the maoists already submitted its draft and in that draft, they have made a provision that says.. Nepal will be divided in 9 ethnic and regional state.. namely.. Kirant, Tamang, Newa, Madhes, Tamu, Magar, Tharu, Bheri Seti and Rapti Karnali.
Secondly, according to that division most of the land of the Sherpa people ( our ancestors land.. different villages of Solu, Taplejung, Sankhuwasabha, Bhojpur, Okhaldhunga, Ramechhap, Dolakha )will be known as Kirant Autonomous Region and other areas like Sidhupalchowk, Rasuwa, Nuwakot will be known as Tamang Autonomous Region.
Therefore, considering this situation, Sherpa Association of Nepal decided to go against this kind of provision and it is claiming all of the Sherpa Lands together with the land of Hyolmo, Manange, Mustange, Dolpo, Humly and others of Himalayan region to be known as Himalayan Autonomous Region.
The question here is .. whether we sherpas support SAN's decision to launch a struggle to secure our own land for our own benefits and future generations of Sherpa people or surrender it to other people.
Sherpa people here are in the preparation of the struggle of life and death for the prestige and future of Sherpa community and it is urging support of every sherpas no matter where they are living currently.
Kirant, Tamang, magar, Gurung, Tharu, Newar and others claimed for the autonomy and it is being recognized through Interim Constitution. We Sherpas and other himalayan community are not being able to raise louder voice so that everyone is forced to listen to our claim.
If Sherpas do not understand this now then tomorrow it will be too late. I personally and in the capacity of Sherpa Association of Nepal very humbly request all of you to consider this issue seriously, discuss it and come to a conclusion and try to understand Sherpa Association's point of view.
Thank you very much.
Ngima Tendup Sherpa
Sherpa Association of Nepal
I think, it is very natural that you are trying to alert all sherpas. I understand your point of view and I suggest all sherpas to be united. Since long time, we are contribuing lot for country's economy but in national issues, we are always forgotten.
It's now time to say and show that we have our own identity and we do not let us represent by a ethenic group which even don't exist in the region. For exemple, we rarely find, kirant and limbu in Dolakha.
In this critical situation, let's all sherpa be one and fight for our rights.
Mr. Ngima Tendup Sherpa
Sherpa Association of Nepal.
Sherpas are always united in the question of their culture, religion and identity. Theoretically to create a Himalayan Autonomous Region is a good idea. But practically how is it possible to create such a Himalayan region covering almost 30 percent land of Nepal where all major tribes and ethnic groups are staying. It will be highly appreciated if SAS can provide information about the concept of Himalayan Autonomous Region including its geographical boundaries and administrative plans. We cannot achieve our goal without proper and viable plan.
Thank you very much for your querries.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to describe everything in this discussion forum but I can promise you to send the related documents if you provide me your email address.
In short, what I can say here is..in the Draft of Interim Constituion handed over to the Nepal government and the Maoist party, they have made provision to establish different 9 autonomous region in the basis of different ethnic identity, their traditional land and their willingness to make their own autonomous region. So.. if we think carefully and seriously, we all himalayan people have common language, script, culture, religion, tradition and our own traditional land known as Bhot Pradesh different than Kirants, Tamangs, Gurungs, Magars, Newars and etc. So himalayan people also have the right to claim separate autonomous region for the benefit of their own community. Besides that, we indigenous people have right to self determination. So himalayan people are claiming the Himalayan Autonomous Region using that same right to self determination.
All the himalayan people including, Sherpa, Hyolmo, Walung, Topkegola, Shingsha, Thudam, Siyar, Lharke, Nurpri, Lhowa, Manange, Mustange, Mugali, Dolpo , Humli, Byasi, Tangbe and others are demanding for this autonomous region.
Tomorrow morning at 8 am., all of the above himalayan community are going to handover a memorandum to the Prime Minister, Speaker of House of Representatives and to all political parties with the 7 days ultimatum. Otherwise, we've also decided to come to the streets.
Rest.. next time. thank you.
* Presently Nepal is in political crises of “no one knows what can be done, and everyone wants something be done for them”, individually and/or for their communities of all shorts.
* The government systems headed by the kings of Shah Dynasty and/or political parties organized by likeminded political thugs failed to build a prosperous Nepal. The failure was due to suppression of political cultural identities of the multi-ethnic people of Nepal in the government of Nepal. This was primarily orchestrated by a dominant force in order to secure Judicial and administrative power for themselves, by acquiring the loyalty and obedience of the citizen to the king through the policies of various political intimidation techniques.
* When a nation faces such crises inherited by old thinking, requires a new thinking -cultivation of identity politics in the government. For such reason, we hear that presently many people in Nepal identify their communities, religions, localities and even sex, and demand fair share in the policies of the government. “Autonomy for the people of the Himalayan region” represents this change.
* I believe only in a government system, in which no one is powerful and no one is week. In order to establish such system of government we all need to be born open minded and considered heart. I am not quite sure which system of government will be better for the people of Nepal, a centralized government which preaches unity amongst the citizens, or a Federal Autonomous which preaches ethnic sovereignty over the land they live. If I am left with only these two choices, I prefer a system of Federal Autonomous over Centralized system for following reasons.
1. I do not want a dominant group of majority decide and dictate that I should live my life as they see fit in their beliefs. Centralization of political power does exactly that.
2. I do not want a legal and judicial system operating only in the language to obey only the traditional value of majority, which abolishes the traditional value of minority. Centralization of political power does exactly that.
3. I do not want only the language of a dominant group to be the national language, to be used in the bureaucracy, courts, public services, the army, higher education and other official institutions. Centralization of political power does exactly that.
4. I do not want a nationalized system of compulsory education which only promotes the teachings of a dominant group’s language, literature, and history, and calls such a “national” language, literature, and history. Centralization of political power does exactly that.
5. I do not want a dominant group to systematically kill my language and culture by promoting a single language through state-run cultural institutions, media and museums. Centralization of political power does exactly that.
6. I do not want to celebrate only a dominant group’s history, culture and heroes reflected as the choice of national holidays. Centralization of political power does exactly that.
7. I do not want my land to be seized as a state property to be used for personal and ideological political gain. Centralization of political power does exactly that.
8. I do not want special preference only to those who belong to the language, religion or ethnicity of a dominant group. Centralization of political power does exactly that.
Note: It would be nice to hear from our Sherpa Political leaders those who have represented in previous governments and various political parties in Nepal, what they prefer, a Centralized Government or a Federal Autonomous System? All are welcome to share your thought as well. Thuchitsye. Tsewang Sherpalama
First of all, I would like to thank Tshewang Dai for his contribution in this thread. You've pointed out clearly showing your support to the federal system in Nepal. I think, you've raised the same issues that we are advocating in a decent way.
Secondly, I would like to let you all know that.. the issue of Himalayan Autonomous Region in Nepal is being supported by all the present and past Sherpa Political Leaders. To quote their their name.., I can say Mr. Ang Tshering Lama of Ramechhap, Ang Ngawang Sherpa and Sonam Tshering Sherpa of Solukhumbu, Jip Tshering Lama, Ang Dendi Sherpa and Wangchhe Sherpa of Dolakha, Pasang Goparma of ILam. They are actively participating currently. I find no Sherpas against of this issue especially after they understand the issue correctly.
Thirdly, despite of all our effort, still so many Sherpas even in the valley are unaware of this issue. We hope, they will be aware of this issue in the process of the movement that we are going to launch.
Lastly, certainly there is a growing interest among sherpas in the issue and they are supporting from their side.But we all have to wait and see how much presssure we can create to establish Himalayan Autonomous region.
Just this morning, we decided to organise two days long national meet of all indigenous communities of himalayan region early next week to outline the process ahead. We've already submitted memorandum to all the political parties including the maoists parties with the 7 days ultimatum.
I urge some others also to contribute in this thread and US,UK and Japan Sherpa Kyidug to express their concerns.Thank you once again.